Wednesday, 23 September 2015

How much cake?

We have been learning all about fractions and what a fraction is. We decided that a fraction is fair. It needs to be the same shape, same size or the same number. 
We have also been doing loads of thinking and problem solving in our maths. We think problem solving is hard but we are very proud of our learning!

WALT: find the fractions of sets and shapes.
Success Criteria
  • I can use what I know to solve problems
  • I can use a picture to show my thinking
  • I can use materials to show my thinking
  • My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)

How I am going

I can use what I know to solve problems
Kerri thinks



I can use a picture to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



I can use materials to show my thinking
Kerri thinks



My shares are fair (the same shape, same size or the same number)
Kerri thinks



Reflection

My favourite part was: doing quarters because they are half of a half. I like sharing fairly.

It was really hard when: problem solving because sometimes I get the sneers wrong. Sometimes I get so close. Sometimes I don't use materials and sometimes it is hard to know where to start.

Something that really helped me was: using materials like the cubes and the Jellybeans to show my thinking.

Something new I learned was: counting in halves, 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2

Kerri Thinks

You can find fractions of sets and shapes and count in halves. You know that fractions are fair shares - the same size, same shape, or same number.
It can be really tricky to know where to start when you are trying to solve problems. Remember to slow down and read the question a few times. That will help you know what the question is asking, then you can work out where to start. Keep on practising Sasha you are a great mathematician! 

No comments:

Post a Comment